RSS Feed

17 March 2010

Deschutes Brewery


I have heard so much about the Deschutes since becoming a major, and silly me, I thought it was a river!
I visited the Deschutes Brewery and Public House in the Pearl District, to see what it was all about. The brewery is located in a very nicely renovated warehouse, with great woodwork and skylights, which gives it an open, foresty feeling. My waitress, Marie, was great -- I don't think she stopped smiling once in the time I was there.

After I decided on a beer --Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale (cool name, huh!)-- she suggested I get it on cask, for a smoother feel and taste. I don't know much about beer, but it was very hoppy, with a pretty sweet aftertaste. If you get beer, you might as well get dark ale!

The rest of my menu consisted:
Oven-roasted turkey sandwich made with Madrona Farms turkey, Carlton Farms applewood-smoked bacon, tomato, lettuce, gruyere cheese, buttermilk-avocado dressing on hoagie.
My green salad came with excellent honey mustard dressing.

Upcoming Deschutes Brewery happenings: There is a "Gateway" beer dinner, featuring Deschutes brews paired with Your Kitchen Garden Organic Produce, and Carlton Farms Pork Bellies, April 12th. Sounds like it'll be good!


Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale (300ml): 3
Oven-roasted Turky Sandwich: 10.75

2 comments:

Dave Keeble said...

...Need to eat before coming here. God damn.

Great post, and dark ale fantastic, much better than the generic lager beer. It has more depth and flavour, plus it's stronger, which is always good.

Check out Hob Goblin ale if you can get it in the states. One of the best.

PDX Glutton said...

Thanks. Yeah, it was really good beer! Dark ale is always preferable! I do think we have Hob Goblin; I shall try to procure some!

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to comment! I am not stingy with my opinion, nor should you be! :)